+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Volunteers needed for Mutts and Mittens, a animal shelter

Announcement Guest

Thumbs up Volunteers needed for Mutts and Mittens, a animal shelter

Mutts and Mittens Pte Ltd located at 11 Pasir Ris Farmway is an animal shelter for mostly dogs and cats. It is running as a non profit organisation and thus constantly manpower is needed for the everyday running of the shelter. Those interested in volunteering can contact Cohen at Hp 96220933.

Announcement Guest

For people interested in adopting dogs.

Now that you've thought out your decision to adopt a dog , and are dedicated to becoming a responsible dog owner the big question is : What kind of dog should I get?

In order to find out what type of dog is best for you, you need to think about what you expect from a dog.

Do you want a jogging partner? Higher energy breeds, such as herding dogs, or working dogs are ideal exercise partners. They do require a lot of exercise, so if you aren't prepared to spend several hours a day exercising with your dog, maybe these types aren't for you.

Do you want a dog who's content to snuggle on the couch? Some hunting breeds, such as Basset Hounds, are content with shorter periods of exercise, or a good walk twice daily.

Do you want a dog that you don't have to bend down to pet?

Do you want a dog that you can lift onto your lap, or cuddle in your arms while standing?

Once you've decided on size and energy, it's time to look at other factors.

Are there children in your home?
    A breed known for tolerance in children might be a good idea.

Although any dog can be trained to be a family pet, some are more known for tolerance to the things children do (ie: screaming, running around, jumping). Never bring a dog into your home until you have taught your children how to behave with animals. No animal should have to put up with a child's abuse.

Are you ready to deal with all the problems, training, and time consuming tasks of a puppy? Puppies take a lot time, both in training, and in proper exercise. Young puppies need to be walked many times a day, they need to be constantly socialized, and they need a veterinary care. Are you ready for that? What about an older puppy; not quite a mature adult, but older than 12 weeks?
    Many shelters and rescues have both purebred and mixed breed dogs in this age.

How about a fully grown adult dog?
    The puppy exuberance and hyperactivity is no more, and you have a fully mature dog on your hands. One of the many benefits to skipping the puppy stage is starting off with a dog who may have already had training, likely knows the commands, and is most definitely ready to learn more.

Announcement Guest

For people interested in adopting cats

Feline personality is more related to body shape than it is to breed. The Siamese is the most active, curious, vocal, and intelligent. Being a slim and elegant cat it shares these traits with other breeds like the Cornish Rex, Oriental Shorthaired, Abyssinian, and Balinese. The Persian is the easiest going of the breed cats. Others with this trait are the stocky breeds like the British Shorthaired, Exotic Shorthaired, and the Sacred Cat of Burma. In the middle of the spectrum for body type and personality is the pedigreed American Shorthaired. It has a middle of the road personality. Domestication of all the breeds will inhibit the development of the cat's behavior. They seem to never grow up. That is part of their appeal.

The domestic shorthaired, in other words the alley cat; the mixed shorthaired or longhair breeds are usually free. These cats are not of show quality but they are every bit as adventurous and loving. All cats are natural hunters. Don't try and change this trait, it's useless. It is instinctual and cannot be unlearned.

Cats usually are solitary animals. They could survive in the wild easily, as long as there is prey. Kittens are abandoned as soon as they are weaned. Half grown, they find themselves alone and on there own. In the wild this is a do or die situation and the kitten meets the challenge well. Hunting is a three-step process for the cat, stalking, pouncing, and bites. The killing bite must be learned; the first two are instinct. The bite is learned by watching its mother kill prey and by having to kill a prey early. If the mother has not taught the kitten how and where to bite, it will complete the first two steps, then play with it then let it go. Both their hearing and their sight have developed for hunting. The cat's ears are tuned for ultrasound, able to hear the slight rustle of the grass where a mouse might be walking.

When you go to purchase your cats there are some things to look for. Cats come with varied personality traits as we humans do. Some cats are shy while others can become the best lap warmer you've ever had. You should observe how the cat reacts while in a group of other cats. If they are playing with the other kittens they are most likely in good health. If the cat seems quiet and withdrawn while its playmates are frolicking about it might not be feeling well and may be the type of cat that will require more attention and patience on your part, should you chose to buy it. Well-adjusted cats will easily play with you if you tempt it with a toy or even your hand. The more timid cat will withdraw and be more cautious. The more timid cat will make a good pet for the owner that lives alone. The more outgoing cat will find going to a home with children and or other pets more to its liking than the timid one.

Blazegal Guest

Where is Mutts & Mittens located?

Hi, i would like to know how to get to Mutts & MIttens. Currently, i am havin in-school attachment. Even though i would dearly like to volunteer,i'm not sure at the moment as i have to travel all the way to Mutts & Mittens to volunteer...

chinsandhollandlops Guest
    U can get there via bus 88 at the Pasir Ris bus interchange. Stop outside whitewater condo and cross the road. You then have to walk in. M and M is located on the left side of the road.

Taking a taxi from Pasir ris MRT will cost ard $3 to $5, depending on the driver. Not all taxi drivers know the area.

Blazegal Guest

still needs volunteers?

Hi,i went to mutts & mittens yesterday and i would still like to volunteer..however,i may only be able to do so on sundays afternoons...would it be ok?

chinsandhollandlops Guest
    Why don't you call Cohen? It should be okay though..

+ Reply to Thread